ETTA DALE JR HIGH
September/October 2013 Newsletter
Parents and families of Etta Dale Jr High students:
We would like to take this opportunity to let you know we are off and running on another outstanding year at Etta Dale. The first months of school have gone very well. Our students have been engaged in many exciting learning opportunities. Our teachers are working very hard analyzing our students’ test data from last year to help them determine where our students are in each one’s unique learning experience. We have also begun to collect assessment data in our Math and Reading classes to ensure our students are progressing toward the specific learning targets. We are also very excited about the wonderful technology our teachers and students have to work with in each classroom.
We want to encourage you to be actively involved in your child’s educational experience. Please let us know if there is anything we can do throughout the year to better meet their needs. Our student data system is ready for you to begin going online and checking your child’s grades and progress. If you need assistance in accessing your child’s information, please contact the school and we will get you started. Our counselor, Mrs. Meyerhoeffer, can assist you with your log in information. You may also stay in contact with each teacher through email or by phone.
A few reminders:
1. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, and Thursdays, our school day begins at 8:10. Unless students have been assigned remediation by a teacher or choose to voluntarily go to remediation, they do not have to be at school until 8:10. On Fridays our day begins at 8:05.
2. Friday is our early release day. Students are dismissed on Fridays at 2:04. This allows our teachers to spend time analyzing student achievement data and to reflect on teaching strategies. On all other days, students are dismissed at 3:25. Students may be picked up on any side of Etta Dale, however; to avoid the traffic congestion around Bickford, we would suggest you avoid the east side. Students who ride the bus walk to Central Grounds where the new pavilion is located to wait for their bus to arrive.
3. Etta Dale has a closed campus policy. Students are not allowed to leave campus in the mornings or at lunch without having been properly checked out. Once checked out, they should remain with whomever they are checked out to. Students must be checked out through Mrs. Howard’s office (262-2081). Students cannot be checked out to walk to lunch anywhere or ride with a sibling in high school.
4. Any student who brings medication to school must check it in through Mrs. Howard in the attendance office. You will need to fill out the medication form to have on file.
5. If a student is unable to attend school, you will need to call Mrs. Howard to excuse them.
6. We will have parent/teacher conferences on Oct 14th and 15th from 4:00PM to 7:00PM. Please consider taking this time to visit each teacher’s classroom and discuss your student’s progress.
7. We are actively preparing for our first round of what we will call “interim assessments” the second week of October. (You might think of these as upgraded “9 weeks tests.” These will be very important for our teachers to get a look at the progress each student has made and what kind of adjustments might need to be made to their lessons. We want to stress the importance of these assessments to our students.
8. We also want to stress the importance of student attendance. First and foremost, if students are not in attendance, teaching and learning cannot take place. We appreciate your support in this matter.
We are wrapping up successful seasons in softball and volleyball and football season is in full bloom. Our band and vocal music programs are also working hard as they prepare for future concerts and performances.
Our teachers are currently focused on the data they have collected from monthly assessments and are engaging students in remediation and enrichment to raise our scores. We feel our students are working very hard to meet each standard. We have accepted the mission of “improving every student’s achievement and inspiring excellence!”
We welcome any input you have. Please feel free to stop by or call us anytime. Your child’s education is our top priority and we are very appreciative of the opportunity to be partners with you in this endeavor.
Pat Liticker, Etta Dale Jr. High Principal